Real and Personal Property:
- Assessors are governed by Massachusetts General Laws to value all real and personal property.
- The Assessors perform the duties of valuing property with in-office staff and on occasion with the assistance of an outside appraisal firm who may assist in completing the field review of the community.
- Every year the Assessors are required to submit a tax rate recapitulation summary (recap sheet) for approval by the Massachusetts Department of Revenue prior to mailing the actual tax bill at the end of each calendar year.
- Every three years the Massachusetts Department of Revenue visits the Community to recertify the value of the town by doing a field and data review of the community in an attempt to maintain equitable values.
Motor Vehicle Excise:
- Assessors are responsible for committing the motor vehicle excise tax bill to the Collector of Taxes.
- The motor vehicle excise information which generates the bill originates with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles who updates their records according to the registration of the vehicle.
- Assessors are responsible for abating motor vehicle excise (see Motor Vehicle FAQs).